One of the best suggestions we have for living a greener, more eco-friendly life is to avoid single-use items. From paper plates to bottled water, we all know that the trade-off for these conveniences is the production of a lot more waste. However, most of us never stop to think about how much waste they produce.
If you take a quick look at this infographic, it becomes pretty clear that small changes can make a significant difference if we all incorporate them into our lives. Let’s take a closer look!
Avoid Single-Use Items & Reap the Rewards
Before you start going through your home and marking off things you’re no longer going to use, it’s worth remembering that you should make changes incrementally, and permanently. With that said, here are the hard numbers that demonstrate how effective switching to reusable solutions can be in as little as one year.
- Investing in a reusable water bottle prevents 167 single-use water bottles from going into the garbage
- A single reusable shopping bag can do the job of 170 plastic bags, on average
- Each reusable coffee cup can replace over 700 disposable coffee cups
- One cloth towel replaces over 7,000 paper towels.
- A bamboo toothbrush replaces four plastic toothbrushes
Those are the numbers for a single household, for a single year. That’s pretty impressive on its own, but what if large numbers of people started adopting these alternatives? If a dozen households stopped using paper towels, hundreds of thousands of fewer sheets would end up in landfills. If an entire neighborhood carried reusable water bottles, that would be less plastic ending up in the garbage.
Little changes made permanent have some of the biggest results.